Bonny Island also known as Grand Bonny is located at the edge of the Atlantic Ocean.
Founded by King Alagbariya at about 1000AD, Bonny is also the headquarters of Bonny Local Government Area and the Bonny Kingdom, which is made up of several communties.
According to tradition, the island on which the town of Bonny is sited was full of curlews birds and some of the first settlers therefore called it Okoloama, meaning curlews town. This name is still used locally.
Bonny kingdom became important in the 15th century with the arrival of the Portuguese and the growth of the Atlantic slave trade. At its height of power, Bonny was one of the main entry ports on the slave coast. Later the Dutch and then the British took control of the slave trade in the region, with the British renaming the port “Bonny”. When slave trade was abolished in 1807, the port turned to the export of palm oil products, ivory and Guinea pepper.
In the 19th century, Bonny Island also served as the entry point of Christianity into West Africa.
Presently, Bonny Island is of strategic economic importance to Nigeria. Apart from the crude oil export terminal, the community also hosts several multinational oil companies, including Royal Dutch Shell,Mobil, Chevron, Agip, Elf and the Nigeria LNG Limited.
Furthermore, Bonny is a major tourist attraction as the area is surrounded by long stretches of beaches. Although accessible mainly by water transportation, the Federal Government is constructing a road to link it to the mainland parts of the state.